These shrimp tostadas are one of my go-to meals. Don’t be intimidated by the fact that there’s a separate recipe for the sauce. Although it’s super easy to whip up, you can just use some sour cream if you’re in a rush.
- 1 lb large shrimp (peeled)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (I use Trader Joe's Chili Flavored Oil)
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 3 limes, cut into quarters
- kosher salt (to taste)
- chili powder (to taste)
- 2-3 cups shredded lettuce
- green tomatillo salsa
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
- fresh cilantro to garnish
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonaise
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat grill to medium-high. I use an indoor grill pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream, mayonnaise, milk, and cumin. Set aside. (I like to pour into a small sandwich bag and squeeze through a small hole in the corner. Easy clean up!)
- In a small bowl, combine olive oil, chili powder and garlic. Toss shrimp in mixture.
- In small sauce pan, start heating beans over low heat.
- Place the shrimp on grill. Cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until the shrimp are opaque.
- Remove from grill. Lightly salt the shrimp. Squeeze with juice of one lime.
- Top tostada with beans, a sprinkle of pepper jack, shredded lettuce, cilantro and shrimp. Top with tomatillo sauce and sour cream mixture. Serve with remaining wedges of lime.