This recipe was inspired by a breakfast burrito I had at Roots Gourmet in Long Beach. I’m not much of a meat eater- so I loved their use of soy chorizo. The spiciness of the chorizo mixed with the warm beans, egg and potato is delicious!
- Burrito sized tortillas (I used flour, but whole wheat would be a great option)
- Organic cheddar or Vegan cheese
- 2 cups breakfast potatoes fresh or frozen
- 1 can organic black beans (unsalted)
- 4 eggs or tofu scramble
- 1/2 link soy chorizo
- Get the black beans and chorizo warm in separate pans. Since we're using soy chorizo- the only raw element are the eggs; everything else just needs to stay warm.
- Put the breakfast potatoes in a pan with 2 teaspoons of cooking oil. Once the potatoes are warm and crispy, pour 4 beaten eggs right over the top of them. Flip the potato and egg mixture until eggs are completely cooked. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Turn off burner and cover.
- Throw tortilla onto the flat side of a grill pan and sprinkle with cheese. Let the tortilla get warm, but not crispy! You need to be able to roll the burrito without the tortilla cracking. The cheese might not be completely melted, that's ok.
- Pull the warm tortilla off the grill pan and fill with egg, potato, a spoon full of black beans, and chorizo (to taste).
- Wrap the burrito and cut in half for a beautiful presentation! Cue the mariachi band. Enjoy!
Note: You’ll notice I didn’t mention a lot of seasoning- that’s because the chorizo packs a lot of saltiness and spiciness on its own. If you decide to use another meat option, season ingredients to taste as you go.