I am a huge fan of granola. I sprinkle it on my yogurt parfait, grab a handful for a mid-day pick me up and use it as a topping on fresh fruit! The problem is, most of the granola you can buy at the store has tons of added sugar. This is the recipe I use to make my own granola. When I’m making it as a topping I prefer the texture of steel coat oats, but rolled oats are definitely better for grabbing by the handful.
- 2 cups raw, steel cut oats or old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup raw nuts, chopped (think almonds, cashews & pine nuts)
- ¼ cup raw seeds (sunflower or pumpkin seeds are great)
- ½ cup unsweetened dried coconut or any other fruit (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons raw honey
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large pinch fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 300º F.
- Combine all ingredients in a big bowl bowl.
- Spread the mixture onto a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes.
- Let granola cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container or mason jar between uses (good for 2 weeks).
- This recipe does not need to be exact! For the batch pictured above I left out fruit, because I knew I would be sprinkling it on my morning parfait. I also used pine nuts because I had some left over from making pesto. Use what you have/like and have fun!