I’m a huge fan of a grab-and-go breakfast, but I don’t love all the added sugar. What’s great about this recipe is you can use the oatmeal, banana and applesauce base as a start, and get really creative with the additional ingredients. I added blueberries, raisons and nuts- but you can add whatever you’d like. Dark chocolate, peanut butter chips, dried cranberries and almonds would all be delicious! I want to give you a heads up that this recipe does not produce a super crunchy bar- I would liken the texture to a warm oatmeal cookie. Give the recipe a try, and let me know what ingredients you threw in!
- 5 bananas (super ripe work best)
- 1 cup of applesauce
- 1 package of blueberries
- Sprinkle of pumpkin seeds (or nut of choice)
- Sprinkle of raisons
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups of Quaker Oatmeal (or any brand that isn't instant)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Beat applesauce and bananas in a large bowl.
- Add vanilla, spices, seeds and raisons.
- Add oatmeal and mix. I like to use my hands.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Once mixture is well blended, coat large pan with coconut oil spray. If you've added a lot of extra dry ingredients, you can add a little more banana and applesauce to make sure everything is coated.
- Pour mixture onto the pan and smooth flat with your hands.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes (checking every so often).
- Allow to cool completely before cutting into squares. These are great cold, or heated up with a glass of milk.