I don’t know what the best seller was with your ice cream truck growing up, but in my SoCal neighborhood, the Choco Taco reigned supreme! Yes, I went through a short phase where I’d get the Ninja Turtle popsicle with bubble gum eyes- but that was purely for street creed with the neighborhood boys. Have you ever tried chewing frozen gum?!
I’m so excited about this adult, fancy pants version of the classic Choco Taco! It’s made with Mexican Chili Chocolate ice cream from Steve’s Ice Cream. Check out their site to find out where you can buy it near you- I get mine from my local Sprouts.
This delicious dessert will have your guests saying, “Cinco de my-oh-my!”. Yep, I typed that.
- 1 Pint Steve’s Mexican Chili Chocolate (I buy mine at Sprouts)
- 2 Waffle Taco Shells
- 1 & 2/3 Cup Dark Chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 oz Butter
- 1 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 dash of Cayenne Pepper
- Whipped Cream + Cacao Nibs to serve
- Chocolate Sauce:
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan over low heat.
- Cook gently until all chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Keeps refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- Building Your Taco:
- Scoop small scoops of Mexican Chili Chocolate into Waffle Taco to fill ¾ of shell
- Drizzle 2 TBSP of Spicy Chocolate Sauce
- Top with whipped cream and cacao nibs to taste