I had no idea how simple short ribs were to prepare until I tried this AMAZING Asian-style recipe from Cookie Monster Cooking. As my husband and I were eating the meat over rice we agreed it would be delicious on tostadas. I made some Mexican style ribs last night and they didn’t disappoint; the same melt in your mouth taste with a spicy twist!
Dinner doesn’t get much easier than these slow-cooker tostadas. Here’s the recipe:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 ½ pounds beef short ribs
- salt and pepper
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- ½ jar Heidi's HOT Salsa (or your salsa of choice)
- 1 package of tostadas
- 1 can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- toppings you like: lettuce, tomato, jalapeños, black olives, sour cream etc.
- Set a large skillet over medium high heat. Add in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. When hot, add in as many short ribs as will comfortably fit in the pan. Season with salt and pepper. Brown both sides of the short ribs (about 2 minutes per side). Remove from the pan to a plate and repeat with the remaining olive oil and short ribs.
- In a large crockpot, add the chicken broth and vinegar.
- Add the short ribs to the pot, arranging in a single layer.
- Cover and cook on high for 5-5 1/2 hours, until the meat is really tender and easily comes away from the bone.
- Shred the meat off the bone and add back to the crockpot. Pour the salsa over the ribs and cook on low for 30 more mins.
- To serve: Spoon refried beans onto your tostada and sprinkle with cheese. Place in the oven on broil for 2-3 mins until cheese is melted. Immediately top with ribs and any fixings you desire.
This meat is seriously delicious, and would be great for tacos, nachos, enchiladas or even stuffed in a baked potato (I’ve gotta try that)! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did.