Happy National Grilled Cheese Day! Yes, that’s a thing! This grilled cheese recipe is the perfect way to upgrade your sandwich for this fun foodie holiday. I make mine using a sandwich maker. The T-fal OptiGrill Plus is a great option, and you can find it at Bed Bath & Beyond– but if you don’t have a sandwich maker, no worries- you can make it the old fashioned way!
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted butter
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely chopped
- Fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated
- Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- A pinch of black pepper
- 4 slices fresh crusty bread, about
- 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 4 slices Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) shredded
- Mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) shredded Gruyere cheese
- Blend the butter with the parsley, Parmesan cheese, garlic and pepper until well combined. Spread the butter mixture evenly over one side of each slice of bread.
- Place a slice of Cheddar, on the unbuttered side, of the other 2 slices of bread. Toss the mozzarella with the Gruyere and sprinkle over the Cheddar. Top the sandwiches with the remaining bread, buttered-side-out.
- Turn the T-fal OptiGrill Plus on. Select the sandwich program and press OK. Once the purple indicator light has stopped flashing, place the sandwiches on the grill and close the lid.
- Cook until the indicator light has changed to red or until the cheese is melted and the bread is toasted.
- The combination possibilities for this sandwich are endless! Add bacon, ham, salami, turkey, tomato, basil, sage or roasted red peppers.
- Substitute any combination of favorite cheeses for those suggested in the recipe.
- Serve this sandwich with a hot bowl of soup for a warm lunch or light dinner.