With Mother’s Day quickly approaching, I wanted to share a fun internationally-inspired brunch recipe. I love anything I can dip some crusty bread into- and this flavorful Zucchini and Tomato Baked Eggs dish is perfect!
This dish features a South African/Portuguese sauce called PERi-PERi sauce. It brings amazing flavor and spice to any dish via its main ingredient, the African Birds Eye Chili. I love the Nando brand. You can buy it on their site or Amazon Prime– you’ll be hooked!
- 1 Yellow onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Zucchini, chopped into small chunks
- ½ Red pepper, cut into small chunks
- 14 oz. Canned tomatoes
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 oz. Nando’s PERi-PERi sauce
- Pinch of salt
- On medium-low heat combine the olive oil and cumin seeds in a deep, medium skillet and stir until fragrant.
- Add the onions and a pinch of salt to the skillet and stir until they begin to brown, then stir in the zucchini and red pepper.
- Pour the canned tomatoes over the top of the veggies so that it makes an even layer and swirl Nando’s PERi-PERi on top. Let simmer for 5 minutes
- Crack the eggs into the skillet, ensuring enough space between them
- Take skillet off heat and place under a hot grill until eggs are cooked, about 5 minutes
- Top with fresh cilantro and serve with chunks of warm bread if desired