I shared some of my favorite baby gear with Max- so I wanted to come back and add some new items that I’m loving for Sammy. Shopping this time around was so much easier! I’ve really simplified when it comes to baby gear, and only bought a couple of big ticket items this time around.
- Cuddle Baby Spoons These are the best baby spoons, period. You will not convince me otherwise. They’re made of high quality food-grade silicone that is soft and gentle on baby’s gums. The soft edges of the spoon can be used to scrape the last bit of food puree from the bowl or to gently wipe food from your baby’s face. Sammy loves to gnaw on these, and it’s totally safe.
- Mii Sophie La Giraffe Bottles Last year I took a sip out of one of Max’s plastic cups, and it tasted like straight dishwasher soap- I was mortified. I literally threw out all plastic that day and switched to glass. It’s just so much healthier. So when I picked bottles for Sammy this time around, I chose these amazing Sophie The Giraffe bottles. Both of my kiddos love Sophie, so I was excited to buy another product from this company. First of all, they’re beautiful! But they’re also designed to reduce colic, gas, and reflux. The nipple (made from medical grade silicone) is 3 different textures, and Sammy has done so well with it the few times I’ve left her with my parents. They also DON’T LEAK!!! I can’t recommend these bottles enough.
- Dock-a-Tot I had this product in my cart for months. No exaggeration. The price tag is high, and I just didn’t know if it was necessary. We absolutely loved our Dock-a-Tot! It made transitioning Sammy to the crib seamless, and it made me feel comfortable to have her nestled in a safe sleep environment when I’d put her down for naps away from her crib or bassinet.
- Binxy Baby This product was a LIFESAVER up until last week when Sammy started sitting in the front of the cart. I used to push a basket and pull the stroller through the store. I hate baby wearing when I’m shopping because I’m always afraid when I’m grabbing something heavy off a shelf I’m going to knock my poor baby in the head. This works like a little hammock, or you can actually strap the car seat into it, to allow you to shop with baby and toddler comfortably. It fits on Target and Costco carts FYI!
- Halo Sleep Sack I used a swaddle with Max, but never a sleep sack. I read somewhere in the first couple weeks of having Sammy that babies like feeling like they’re covered at night. Makes sense, I like to dress a little light at night so I can cozy up under our comforter too! I started zipping Sammy into this, and she sleeps so well in it! Not only that, but it’s become one of her sleep cues. I pull the zipper up and she starts humming. My advice is to get two, so you can always have one clean. They fall victim to spit up and diaper leaks.
- Kickee Pants I got 2 pairs of Kickee Pants as gifts for Sammy and I loved them! When I went to buy more I was a little taken back by the price, but here’s the thing: they last a LONG TIME. Sammy is a big baby and outgrew everything she was given in a matter of weeks. These have lasted her months. They’re really stretchy and light, which makes them so comfortable- but the stretch also allows them to grow with baby. Just get 2 pairs and hang them dry. They’re perfect under the sleep sack, even in the summer. They’re buttery soft and you will love them!
- Milk Snob Cover I can’t tell you how many compliments I’ve gotten on this cover! It acts as a nursing cover, carseat cover and shopping cart insert. I’ve honestly only used it for nursing and the car seat, but it’s great! It’s super breathable and light, so you can use it to protect baby from the sun and not worry about over-heating. Then take it off, put it around your neck and use it for a nursing cover. I only had one, and it’s all I needed. They come in a ton of cute patterns.
- BeliBea Nursing Bra This is so embarrassing, but when I was pumping for Max I just cut holes in a sports bra. It worked, but got pretty gnarly over time. BeliBea has a Nursing & Pumping Bra! Unsnap one panel for breast pumping or unsnap both panels to breastfeed with ease. The fabric is like a sports bra with the adjustability and feminine, smooth fit of a normal bra. Additionally, the design also accommodates the ongoing changes in breast size throughout the day (you know what I’m talking about!). No more changing, pumping, changing, nursing, changing, pumping, and so on. Woot woot! It also allows you to nurse really modestly if you use the pump panel- just saying.
- Dohm Sound Machine So, for Max we bought a sound machine that sounded like the womb. He still uses it. For Sammy, I found this sound machine (accidentally) and it’s amazing. I ended up buying one for our room too, because when she moved to her nursery I missed it! It’s not an electronic sound- it uses actual air! Two speeds – dual speed motor, fan, and acoustic housing create the soothing sound of rushing air, without the disturbance of actual moving air. It’s so soothing and it doesn’t feel like a sound machine…it’s just subtle noise, which drowns everything else out! If I had to choose one thing from this list to really push, it would be this.
All of these products are great, but the biggest thing I learned with Baby #2, is that babies don’t require a lot. We moved when Sammy was 8 weeks old, and all she needed was a warm place to sleep and mama’s milk. Don’t stress the small stuff with baby gear; let things accumulate naturally as you need them.