We have officially kicked off the season of football-watching, fall parties and television season premieres – all events which call for the perfect entertaining recipes aka CHEESE!!!! This Bacon Ale Cheese Dip is so good and so, so easy! I will be twirling some soft pretzels while watching Scandal, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
I mention POD & BEAN™ mustard in the recipe. I’m not sure if you’ve heard of it, but it’s an amazing company. They have tons of sauces and seasoning blends all infused with cocoa. Did you hear that? Limitless savory options all made with CHOCOLATE- because we all know cocoa goes with just about everything. (I do not indorse or work with them- just want to share, because I’ve never sampled a single product I didn’t love.)
Enough about that- on to the cheese!!!
- ½ pound bacon slices
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- ½ yellow onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. POD & BEAN™ Stone Ground Mustard
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 12 oz. dark brown ale
- 6 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- Soft pretzels for dipping (I get them in the refrigerator aisle at Sprouts and bake!)
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- Add bacon to a large skillet over medium heat. Sauté for ten minutes until just crispy and then remove and place on a sheet tray lined with foil. Allow bacon to cool and then rough chop.
- In a large saucepan on medium heat, melt butter and then add the onions and cook until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Whisk in the Dijon mustard, POD & BEAN™ Stone Ground Mustard, and the ale, scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the cream cheese and reduce the heat to medium. Whisk the cream cheese into the ale mixture until the cheese melts and becomes creamy. Turn off the heat.
- Slowly add five cups cheddar cheese to the ale mixture, stirring until the cheese melts and is smooth.
- Stir in ¾ of the bacon and save the rest to sprinkle on top.
- Spray a 1 quart baking dish with cooking spray. Pour the dip into the dish and top with the remaining cheddar cheese and the rest of the crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the dip is bubbling.
- Serve warm with soft pretzels.