We made these dried lemon ornaments the other day, and it was so easy and fun! It was completely free for us, because we have a lemon tree- but if you need to buy the supplies it won’t cost you much!
All you’ll need is:
- 1 or 2 large lemons
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
Here are the steps!
- Slice the lemons into thin slices.
- Pat each slice dry and set on a sheet pan covered in parchment paper.
- Use a sieve to dust them lightly with the powdered sugar on both sides. This makes them like glass once they’ve baked.
- Place the baking sheets in the oven at 200ºF for 2 to 3 hours. You can turn every once in a while to help them dry out.
- Let them dry for about 30 mins and then string and hang!
Ours varied in color and size, because I really let the kids do just about everything. Kids and consistency don’t go hand in hand- but I love how they turned out! If you use a mandolin and get a nice consistent size and also dust that powdered sugar evenly, you will have nice yellow slices with that beautiful glass effect.
The number 1 question I’ve gotten about this is: Do the lemons hold their fragrance? I was shocked that they don’t! Obviously if you put them up to your nose you get a little whiff of citrus- but not enough to fill your home with a beautiful lemon smell. Darn! They sure are beautiful though- and such an eco-friendly activity in a season where so much waste is created.
Let me know if you end up doing this with your family!