This is going to sound weird, but after almost 4 years of being pregnant, having a newborn or breastfeeding through the night- I’m slowly relearning the art of self-care. My day starts at 6am and ends (does it count as ending if I’m up twice in the middle of the night?) around 8pm. With 2 kiddos that don’t nap at the same time, 8pm is literally the first time I stop all day. That’s not a complaint- just the facts. I usually go to bed around 10, so typically I have to decide between cleaning, working or getting small projects accomplished OR taking time for myself in those 2 hours. I also have a husband that would like to…I don’t know…talk to me?
What’s worked for me is scheduling in self-care, just like I would schedule in errands or anything else. Every few days, the dinner dishes go straight in the sink and I head upstairs to take care of me- if only for 20 minutes. Let’s be honest- the second I turn on the shower I ALWAYS think I hear the baby crying- but I try to enjoy a little precious me time nonetheless.
These 5 products make me feel like I’m giving myself the all-star treatment- and if needed, I can get through all of them in less than 10 minutes.
- Exfoliating Gloves- I don’t have a favorite brand of these guys, I just buy them in bulk on Amazon. I used to have all the fancy scrubs and body butters, back in the pre-baby days. I know I’ll get back to luxuriating in the tub someday….but until then, one of these 99 cent gloves and a relaxing body wash does the trick! I love how my skin feels after a good scrub.
- Maple Holistics Shampoo + Conditioner– I absolutely love this shampoo and conditioner for a couple reasons: First off, it has the most relaxing scent. I love the tea tree and essential oils. It makes me feel like I’m at the spa. Second, I had the worst postpartum hair-loss and the essential oils and natural blend stimulated hair growth (I’m certain of it!) Another thing I love is there’s no residue at all! I have really coarse, naturally curly hair that I blow out. I don’t know if any of you know what I’m talking about here, but with certain products, if I don’t dry my hair immediately, I get this weird oily build up at the roots. With these products I can almost let it completely air dry and it feels great! I won’t use another shampoo after finding this. FYI they give out free samples on their site, so definitely give it a peek!
- Mouthwatchers Toothbrush– These toothbrushes are legend in our home. We push these on everyone who stays with us! I was actually at the dentist the other day and when I told her I use one she was so excited- she had never had a patient who knew about them before. If you don’t listen to anything else I tell you, listen to this: these are the BEST TOOTHBRUSHES EVER and will change the way your teeth look and feel. My husband and I are obsessed. You can get a yearly supply for $20. Check out their site and order them, or you can get them on Amazon. I’m not going to cut and paste all of the amazing benefits, just check out their site- but it’s all in the flossing bristles, People.
- Rodan + Fields Lashboost– I always get nervous posting about products from any direct sales type company, so I feel the need to preface this with: No I’m not getting paid to say this. No, I’m not linking you to a page that will make me money and no, I’m not trying to sell you anything. My cousin actually came over one day and her eyelashes were a mile long. It was incredible. I had been interested in this product, but seeing someones results first-hand really got me excited. When I was working on-camera full-time, I literally wore individual lashes every single day for almost 3 years. I WISH I would have known about Lashboost then. I’m going to do a full review with pictures for fun later in the week- but for now I’ll just tell you that it’s incredible how fast it works! It’s one of those products that’s a special little luxury. Right now I don’t spend the money on manis and pedis or facials. I use this on my lashes, and when I don’t have time for makeup (which is pretty much every day), I feel good, because my lashes are long and pretty. The fellow mama, Teri, who I bought this from is letting me share her info, because she’s super sweet. I really loved buying it from her, because I emailed her a few times with questions and she got right back to me. Her email address is firstname.lastname@example.org if you shoot her a message she’ll walk you through your purchase and usage directions. She can also tell you how to get a discount and free shipping (the corporate site isn’t very user friendly!).
- Happiest Tee– I say this with love, but after a long day of kids climbing me, I’m all touched out. After the hauling and nursing and piggyback rides, I just want to slip into something soft. Not necessarily sexy, just softttttttttt. I was gifted a Happiest Tee sweatshirt and I live in it in the evenings. I hate when people refer to materials as buttery soft (maybe from the latest legging craze?)…but ugh….IT’S BUTTERY SOFT! The price point is higher than your typical loungewear, but the quality is so worth it. They come with your happiest place printed on them (still waiting on the “Happiest in A Quiet Room” tee) and are perfect for YOU time. Treat yourself to something cozy- you deserve it.